Saturday, January 28, 2006

Absolute Zero (Or, Why I'm okay)

I'm sure those 3 of you still hanging about here have been keen to find out a little more about what I'm thinking going into this new Government.

Well, to answer you're question, we've now attained Absolute Zero. and by we, I mean me. I knew as soon as the Martin Government was brought down what the outcome would be: A Tory Minority. And as the campaign droned on into xmas, I saw the writing on the wall in my riding too. The circumstances this time around were too different to win.

Anne McLellan was able to carry the riding last time because she was still doing a good enough job to satisfy the Liberals here, and because the NDP challenger last time around was a Political Neophyte without basic public speaking skills, so there was no real vote splitting. Laurie Hawn came out as a moderate, sharing many of the same positions as Anne on many issues, which meant I could certainly tolerate him. This time out, the NDP ran a competent challenger, people were wanting to spank the Liberals, and Laurie Hawn revealed his true colours as a lowballing candidate by ensuring the Liberal punishement was carried through on with his Envelope scam, which you don't want to get me started on because I took that personally and I was offended.

But in spite of these "negative" outcomes, I have reason for cheer because of the "positive" outcomes of my situation. As you know already, I'm pleased to see that Paul Martin has stepped down as Leader of the party, and I can eagerly apply for my membership. I didn't bother with the last Leadership "race" because I didn't like any of my choices, and because it was evident that my vote wouldn't have made a difference as the masses were overwhelming for Martin, and I was not. I just didn't believe he was sincere. He'd tell anyone what they wanted to hear within the confines of the Liberal platform to get your vote, which is squeezy. Sure, he did show a spine every once in a while after taking office, but I'm still in doubt of his capabilities.

And, I lucked out in the Vancouver Area because those ridings went Liberal/NDP, which is where Rod and I are moving, so I only have to live in a Tory riding for 3 months. This I can do, barring any freakish missteps by Hawn and/or the Tory Minority Government which would galvanize me to act against them.

So two negatives are cancelled out by two positives, bringing me back to ZERO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home