Friday, November 10, 2006

In the absence of sense...

we are left with ab.

I would expect everyone who knows and reads me was wondering where the celebratory "REPUGNICANTS LOSE CONGRESS!!!!!!!!!!!" post was in the immediate aftermath of the US Midterm elections. Truth is, although I watched faithfully, and had a healthy run of commentary, I couldn't be bothered to blog about it because the pragmatist in me knew it was going to happen. I wasn't 100% sure on the Senate, but I knew the House was going Democrat and I knew the Senate would be super close. It didn't take a Political Science degree to figure out that Americans were pissed that the Repugs did nothing good for the national economy, let the government and its spending balloon so out of control that Pam Anderson Lee Rock (or whatever her nom de jour is) was instantly jealous that there were bigger ta-tas then hers in the world, and that the Bush Administration was no longer capable of selling Iraq to anyone but fools and party faithful.

I'm only sad that America still, after more than 200 years, has only two viable choices in terms of party politics. I certainly dislike the NDP and I heartily disagree with the premise for the existence of the Bloc Quebecois, but I very much appreciate that they are a necessary evil that allows for a wider variety of voices to be heard and more out-of-the-box thinking encouraged. In the States, you is or you isn't, and if you isn't you're crazy fringe.

Just watch and see though, fellow Canucks...are the Dems about to become the Protectionist Devils in a box? Will Geo Shrubya and his faithful wife Laura turn the White House upside down searching for his veto pen? Will Dick Cheney get fired too?...Err...resign too? Will the Harpertron 2000 continue to function without its Repug masters? Start the clock folks.

In other news, oh. my. gawd. SFU has got to be the school with the worst administration I have ever seen, and I'd know folks, I've been to a lot of schools.

It started on Monday the 6th, when I arranged to take the afternoon off of work so I could sort out this business of going back to school. My funding application deadline is November 15th, and I still hadn't heard anything from SFU about whether I was even admitted or not. Well, it turned out to be a super smart move because I learned that my application had only been processed on October 28th, and it was going to be another 3-4 weeks until I learned about my status. I explained my situation, and by 8:30 am on the 7th, I was admitted. Now, one would assume most of the work was over, but one would be wrong. For the past two days I've been struggling to get anyone at the school to give me just a simple note stating what my ESTIMATED tuition and fees will be for the year, which I need for my funding application. I'm so ready to cry like a baby. It's a combination of slow administration and a far-too-early funding application deadline, and it's making me lose wages, time, energy and morale. If I don't get funding, it will all be for nothing. Keeping my chin up, my nose to the grindstone, my heart in the fight for now though.

Finally, some birfday shoutouts...my girl Jette turned twenty-something, my pal Joe also a twenty-something, and my Mother-in-Law turns...uh...any year older tomorrow. HAPPY BIRFDAYS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home