Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Some Fancy Writings

No, I won't torture you all with my own writings, though if I may so say, they are most impressive in their maturity, and unpretentious in the quality of storytelling (...if I were 11!).

No, this is a post devoted solely to the rejects of literature not proudly displayed on my fledgling webpage. There are some truly interesting, highly literate, and completely original statements in the English language employing the word 'fancy.' And I chose a few that I really liked in one way or another, but ended up settling on a last sub-sentence from William Hazlitt:

Humour is the describing the ludicrous as it is in itself; wit is the exposing it, by comparing or contrasting it with something else. Humour is, as it were, the growth of nature and accident; wit is the product of art and fancy.

That, from his work, “On Wit and Humour,” Lectures on the English Comic Writers (1819). I couldn't resist it's charm, and narcissistically adopted it for myself, because I believe that when I'm struck, I can be particularly witty (but not today, mind you). Anything involving the word fancy can only inspire narcissism in me, which everyone knows I'm very capable of, because of my unique moniker. True, I go out of my way often to be quite plain, but I'm also notoriously vain, which means anything related to my unique name strokes my ferocious ego.

But enough about me, persay. On to the rejects, some of which were really good in their own ways!

"It is new fancy rather than taste which produces so many new fashions."
-François-Marie Arouet Voltaire, Philosophical Dictionary, 1764

I consider myself lucky that I am a little out of my mind and can escape some trends and set my own instead. I also consider myself lucky that many of my trends don't catch on with others.

Ever let the Fancy roam!
Pleasure never is at home:
-John Keats (1795–1821), British poet.

All due respect to my home and my life, but I am a traveller. While physically I am confined to my present location, in my mind, in my books, in my incessant learning, I am travelling to new and fascinating places that offer what a quiet life at home cannot.

All charming people, I fancy, are spoiled. It is the secret of their attraction.
-Oscar Wilde (1854–1900), Anglo-Irish playwright, author.

All charming people, (I, FANCY) are spoiled...as if this really needs further explanation to those who can say they know me (and still love me).

She ’s all my fancy painted her;
She ’s lovely, she ’s divine.
-William Mee: Alice Gray.

I'm Rod's Fancy, lovely and divine! *wink*

All impediments in fancy’s course
Are motives of more fancy.
-All ’s Well that Ends Well. Act v. Sc. 3.
William Shakespeare

This quote was a very close second in my final decision, because as it relates to the noun, Fancy, I am incredibly stubborn and determined to overcome obstacles large and small when I really want something. This is also a trait known to my friends.

Aggressive Fancy working spellsUpon a mind o’erwrought.
Thomas Hardy, (1840–1928)The Dynasts. Act i. Sc. 6. Napoleon

Rod loves this quote, painting me in a wicked light, and trying to deflate my hyperinflated ego, but I like the quote because it acknowledges the power I hold over an overwrought mind. Like Rod's.

A moonlight traveler in Fancy’s land.
Madison Julius Cawein (1865– ?)

Okay folks, if I ever decide to move into the *ahem* high class entertainment field, there is no doubt whatsoever that this delicate quote will be printed on my very special calling cards. It's incredibly corny and suited best to some gruesomely terrible bodice-ripper, and I love it because it would be a private joke, considering what I think of those trashy romances.

O Life! how pleasant is thy morning,
Young Fancy’s rays the hills adorning!
Robert Burns (1759–1796)

Yes, this man is a true visionary, prognosticating on the glory of my life as the centre of the universe! True, gifted poet! So graciously painting the picture of my magnanimous role in Life!

Vanity Run Amok Indeed!

5 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet you rather savvily left out "Fancy" by Reba McEntire. No worries, I have found a passage for you.

I knew what I had to do but I made myself this solemn vow/
That is I'm gonna be a lady someday/
Though I dont know when or how/
I couldn't see spending the rest of my life/
With my head hung down in shame you know/
I might have been born just plain white trash/
But Fancy was my name

Amen. (ha!)

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

Darling Olaf...

"Fancy" was originally done by Bobby Jo Gentry, Reba just covered it.

Furthermore dearest, the "white trash" part is disputed by my cultural heritage.

And Finally :p~~~~~~~

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Lance Morrison said...

I must admit, the name 'Fancy' offers much more poetry that I ever recieved...
" Lance Lance likes to dance... all the way to France... with Ants in his Pants... to Visit his Aunts.

Or

Lance-a-lot... likes to dance-a-lot... in tight pants-a-lot... and visit France-a-lot"

Yeah, it got old.

But I love the quotes. Well, except for Thomas Hardy. After having to read 'Tess of the d'Ubervilles' for our book club, I will never read him again.

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Gail at Large said...

So I don't think I ever asked you what possessed your parents to name you Fancy?

(Feel free to make up a tale if there isn't one already.)

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

I'll elaborate tonight in my entry :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home