Saturday, April 08, 2006

3 weeks left and beyond the threshold of Old

It's just after midnight, meaning technically it's Saturday, and in three weeks plus a day, I will be leaving this city. Of course, in less then 3 weeks, Rod will be gone, having gone ahead with our belongings and the cats to make it easier for me to clean and get back as much of our damage deposit as possible.

This last week has been anything but easy. In the same day, I found out that SFU had put my application into suspension to be manually reviewed, thus delaying things to the point of fear, AND the news came that the apartment we had lined up almost fell through because the previous tenant was still "negotiating", throwing my week into a virtual talespin. Add to that the fact that neither of us in employed out there, and the apartment we're in currently was rented out in breakneck speed, and we've got ourselves a full blown emergency. But thankfully today, the apartment situation came back on line and I can relax somewhat, knowing that at least we've got a home.

It was a genuinely strange week too, as I kept thinking it was the day after what the date actually was, and this made for some very grumpy mornings at work. It was all in an effort to get to today, which I had taken off so that I could take care of Morgan, who was in transit between Grande Prairie and Fort Chipewyan. I can't recall doing much of any significance at work either, as we're sort of in the middle of projects that put a damper on some of the stuff I'm supposed to be doing.

Furthermore, I had to go in for the ever-annoying pap smear this week, which is always a truly delightful experience for any girl (but only if she's a frickin' sadist). You'll be happy to know that my girl bits are still operating as per standard. Hurray for me.

Then, to add insult to injury, I crossed the threshold into Old. I noticed last month after a night out celebrating St. Paddy's Day that I was getting wrinkles under the eyes. Not crow's feet, just wrinkles, and I've emotionally prepared myself for that day when I made such a discovery. I always said I planned to grow old gracefully, and that's still the plan. But my ego took a hit this week, as I realized I was not, in fact, the only one to notice that Time was marching on right over my face...I've been to several establishments that serve alcohol or sell lottery tickets, and not once in all these trips, was I asked to produce identification verifying that I am of legal age to partake in the above activities. This crisis of vanity is also spurred on by the fact that I am bound to a man who is now 30 years old, which means I'm no spring chicken anymore.

So there you have it...I've nearly lost a home, my mind and my self esteem in one week. So keep an eye out for the next entry...gawd only knows what else will befall little OLD me.

1 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Blogger Gail at Large said...

OLD!

*scoff*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home