Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Policy Problem

Saskatchewan chief feels responsible after boy found dead, mauled by dogs

This is an issue I dealt with this summer in INAC, and I can tell you for certain two things: a lot of these dogs on reserves are semi-feral, and according to INAC policy, it is the reserve's responsibility to find the resources to deal with the matters.

What about those reserves that don't have the financial resources to manage the dog populations? Not to mention that the solution adopted frequently, the cull, is controversial, not just with animal rights people, but also on the reserves as well. Maybe it's time INAC address partnerships to deal with this issue. A more humane solution is to conduct periodic spay and neutering programs on reserves, but it's an expensive option. Hey, first years...I smell a potential capstone...

And if I'm going to get fired before I'm hired for saying so, it's their loss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home