Sunday, May 27, 2007

He did it all on his own!

Yesterday afternoon, we went down to Spence Diamonds and picked up our rings. Rod's wedding band is a 14kt Yellow gold with five round 0.07kt weight diamonds inset. It's similar to the wedding band I already have been wearing for the past 7 months, since our anniversary. My engagement ring is a 14kt Yellow gold 1/2kt solitaire diamond, ridiculously simple, and the best part is the unique inclusion in the diamond. It's not a foggy spot at all, which is what most inclusions are. It's a fracture line-like cut straight through. It's perfectly imperfect :)

After that, we went out to Locarno Beach by UBC, found a stump and log to settle on, and just took in the perfect spring day by the water. I ventured out onto some of the rocks that create breaks in the coastline to prevent erosion, where I snapped this happy little picture on my phone camera of the water lapping up against the stones around me...

While I frolicked on the rocks, Rod remained back at the log, lost in his own world. Around us were dogs and their owners, also frolicking and having a wonderful time, as dogs off leash tend to do :) When I returned to Rod, he told me a story about being on the bus home from work a couple of weeks ago, and thinking back to a time when we were still living in Edmonton, and he was still working at Red's. He said that one night, after his late shift (sometime around 3 am), he was driving home from the mall, and he was hit with a realization that this was going to be his life: low paying jobs and no money. This was early on in our relationship, when we were both in the blurred world of "studentdom" and we were poor.

He said he didn't know what brought that memory back to him, but sitting there on the bus, he realized now that he was in a much better place, with the great job at a place he likes, and in a city he likes (and presumably, with a woman he likes :D), and it was all worth sharing. Now, back on the beach with me, he said he just couldn't imagine not sharing this spectacular setting, and with that, he dropped to one knee in front of me, ring in hand, waves lapping on the sand, and happy dogs scampering about, and asked me to marry him. And I said yes. And it was our moment.

2 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years together: 8
Moments together: 1

;)



(seriously though, congrats!)

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Gail at Large said...

All's well that ends well.

He did it in his own time, which is the best way to do it.

Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home