Saturday, May 26, 2007

What I definitely won't be wearing...


There was something about this dress that made me say yes after 17 dresses, low blood sugar and the pressure of getting a dress on the spot within a budget. I agree with everyone, it's beautiful, and I look lovely in it, but...

After we paid for it, I almost got a sick feeling, and I was really upset. Once I got some food in me, I perked up quite a lot, but what I felt was still missing with this dress was ME. I know I've said it before, but this beautiful gown with little blue Swarovski Crystals not visible in this one shot we were allowed to take, it didn't quite suit my personality, nor my concept for the wedding. I had always pictured myself in some slinky, sexy or sophisticated dress getting married in the evening and having the night sky behind us as we ate (I'll give on that one now cause I've seen the spectacular sunsets on the beaches and on Burnaby Mountain, and that would be cool too). This beautiful dress just missed my mark a little. It is obviously a fantastic 2nd choice, and I'm aware of that. And the look on my face was because we were only allowed to take this one picture of the one dress since technically I already owned it, and I had just been fussing with the train when I looked up for the picture, it has nothing to do with my judgement of the dress!

But the salon was quite understanding when my mum called and asked if I could "upgrade" the dress, since the date has been moved back by a full year. The deal was that I could afford a more expensive dress and not need it in a hurry, so I was allowed to trade up. The one I ended up picking, the first time I put it on, I flushed pink and just felt like I was RICH. I refer to it as a New York City dress, because I felt like I could be getting married at the Plaza Hotel on Central Park. It's...older. The first dress, as beautiful as it is, makes me feel like a young bride of 22 or 23, which, I have no shame in saying that I am not. By the time this wedding rolls around, I will be just 4 months shy of turning 30, and I want to feel sophisticated, not cute. Others might not like my choice of dress, but I feel fucking incredible in it.

I was really struggling about that to do about the dress situation. I could have used it or sold it, and every day, I just bounced back and forth. I was starting to really accept this dress for what it was, and then mum called the Salon, and suddenly there was a third, guilt-free option! Yay! That's one major conundrum handled! I can now worry about a whole other problem...

We went to the beach last week and walked around, and looked at the exterior and surroundings of Brock House, a heritage mansion on Jericho Beach, and I was loving it. This week, we went up to Horizons Restaurant on Burnaby Mountain and also found a spectacular setting with beyond incredible scenery. I want Beach, Rod Wants Mountain. Do we flip a coin?

1 Comments:

At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't help but sense there is some kind of inversion karma at work here. For a guy who I don't think makes it to the top of too many mountains (physically and metaphorically?) - Roddy has the most miserable time of his life at the top of a mountain hiking with me (in Yoho, where I said "If you're gonna die... DO IT NOW!!!"), and now would have the best time of is life at the top of one with you (Burnaby, where you will be heard to say "If you're gonna say 'I do'... DO IT NOW!!!")!

;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home