Friday, June 02, 2006

Appropriate. A-P-P-R-O-P-R-I-A-T-E. Appropriate

weltschmerz (VELT-shmerts) noun

World weariness; pessimism, apathy, or
sadness felt at the difference between physical reality and the ideal state.
Finola Hackett blew everyone away to achieve 2nd place at the Scripps National Spelling Bee last night, faltering on 'Weltschmerz' to lose top spot.

And I now have a word to describe my problem. I'm weltschmerzy.

And I'm sliding dangerously close to true and real despair over the state of affairs in Canada. Today, the Not-very-honourable Prime Minister said something that evoked such tempestuous feelings in me, I was momentarily shocked at the deep well of hatred rising up from the pit of my stomach. On the Conservative Government's plans to scrap the $4 billion dollar deal that would see serious Aboriginal issues such as poverty and lack of education and opportunities addressed, Harper said that he felt no obligation to honour the deal. And he said it because he wants to SPITE the Liberal Government that made the deal before Jackass Layton triggered the last election.

Granted, I'm not the most Indian of Indians, but a willfully blind and ignorant person it makes for someone to want to cancel a deal that could do good for a segment of the population whose fortunes are lacking. I'm talking about families living in ridiculously sub-standard housing on reserves, and about lack of depth in education suffered by far too many Aboriginals. $4 billion in the right partnerships could go a long way to planting the seeds of improvement. And Harper will piss it all away because he's pretty well Anti-society.

Also on the agenda is a Free Vote to repeal Same Sex Marriage rights, and a cancellation of the deal made with the cities to address infrastructure problems. How many more ways can this guy piss me off? I'm overcome with a serious urge to become an elected politician so I could take him on, but by the time I got there, he'd be long, long, long gone.

See, there are serious drawbacks to being a political animal. Stuff like this temporarily angers the average citizen, but it keeps me awake at night with worry and anger.

Weltshmerz indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home