Sunday, October 16, 2005

Bored and Angry?

This morning, I found this little tidbit on the front page of Yahoo! in their headlines section:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051016/ap_on_en_mu/people_martin

It seems our little Ricky from Menudo/She Bangs fame has suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. He says Fame and Fortune left him bored and angry. Now, how can I begrudge the guy this admission, when lifestyle-imposed poverty made me feel the same way? Anyone on student loans can tell you that life can quickly grow boring and angering when you are poor.

Ricky, in your hour of need, I failed you. Instead of being a supporter, a fan, a friend, I was cruelly making fun of you and the fluff you produced. Instead of putting you up on a pedestal, I gloated that your faddish rise to superstardom would be over in the blink of an eye. While I was bashing you for Livin' la Vida Loca, you were suffering from the debilitating side effects of adoration and constant attention. I truly had no idea that you were hurting inside. But now that I know, I feel akin to you. I too know the feelings of frustration and the hours of boredom that comes from being useless. You complete me.

I'm glad to hear you are now feeling good enough to attempt a comeback, but remember, it will be a hard journey. The people who loved you 5 years ago now hide their past in embarassment, shame, or bravado. Just as my peers are embarassed to admit their former love of the New Kids on the Block, so the generation after me will blush at their own unsophisticated musical taste of their youth. And if you should feel yourself straining under the yokes of oppressive boredom again, know this:

I will always be happy to ease your burden by offering up my house for you to help clean. How are you with a scrubbing brush?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home