Friday, September 02, 2005

The Birthday Party of the century...

and quite frankly, I don't give a damn.

I can get behind Canada Day. I'm all for Canada Day. But Alberta's 100th Birthday doesn't do it for me. The province that is the controversial site of my birth doesn't suit my tastes, to put it politely. I can muster more pride in the Northwest Territories than I can in Alberta, and that sadly, not saying a whole lot. I sometimes wonder if I would like Alberta better if I lived in Calgary, because I've always liked it there. It's more cosmopolitan, it's got a wider range of activities that would appeal to me, and let's face it...major bands and touring companies will always choose Calgary over Edmonton for concert stopovers.

I've also got the world travelling bug...I've been to cities and countries that have existed for like, a thousand years, and the history nerd that I am, it just intrigues me more that these places have flourished for that long, through some of history's greatest events. So for me, there's nothing really exciting about a 100 year old city. I know, I know, call me a spoil sport. I went down to the Legislature Grounds to take in the festivities, and I wasn't impressed with what I was seeing. Calgary got the better performers by far. Edmonton got some 50's imitator guy covering golden oldies (and his performance was nothing special...he could carry a tune, and that's all I'm going to say about that). Then it started to rain. It was a light rain, but it was enough to aggrevate my knees, so I was just not in the mood to wait around for the fireworks (which I can partially see from my window anyways, as they are going off right now). So I split and left Rod and Jette to enjoy the show without my sour attitude.

Such are differences. I'm not interested in a sense of community, I'm interested in taking the world by storm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home