Thursday, April 07, 2005

Disqualified Canadian

I'm pretty sure that at any moment, the RCMP or CSIS, at the behest of the Conserative Party, will show up at my door to strip me of my Canadian credentials. As a Canadian Taxpayer (just barely) I should be outraged over the Sponsorship scandal. I should be furious at the Liberal Party over their apparent clientelism that led to missing money. I should be angry. But I'm not.

The absolute truth is that I could care less. Anyone who can show me an elected government that doesn't suffer from shady dealings is showing me a pretty picture coloured by a 3 year old. The drawbacks of election campaigning is that it requires a lot of money, and people never give money without expecting something in return. Jobs, kickbacks, lucrative contracts, whatever. Am I mad about the lack of transparency in Government? You bet your ass. Am I surprised by it? Get real.

Will I stop supporting the Liberals? No, despite my intense dislike and distrust of Paul Martin. Why hang in there? Because the fact is that I deplore the Conservatives for their narrowminded social agenda and desire to cut spending on Social Welfare. I hate that they encourage heavier reliance on Big Business, a sector that lacks absolutely any laws governing transparency. As for the NDP, their spendthrift ways and blatant opportunism puts me off. There's also an air of 'Holier-than-thou art' from ardent NDP supporters who look down on those who recognize a need for Public-Private partnerships to fill some gaps in services. Plus I can't stand Jack Layton, and I trust Stephen Harper about as far as I can throw him and his beady little eyes and tucked-in mouth.

Well, as for the sponsorship scandal, I was sick of it the minute it broke. I'm far too cynical to believe that any government is capable of remaining scandal free and demonstrating complete accountibility, so there's truly no hope of stirring my ire over this.

I wonder if forwarding this blog entry to the Conservative Party will stop them calling our house and asking us to vote Conservative. Hmmm....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home