Sunday, March 06, 2005

Definition of Irony

Well, I've ranted and raved about this in real life to just about anyone who listens, and now it's time to do it here. In fact, you can all thank Jette for reminding me that I, in fact, have a blog in which to spout my ravings. This is a part of my "Edmonton sucks a little" campaign.

The Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) Alberta office sits on Jasper Avenue at 12o street, one of the busiest streets in Edmonton. And for the life of me, I cannot figure this out...There is an unmarked crossing to get across Jasper Ave to the CNIB. Now, call me nutty, but I don't think a pedestrian crossing sign and some white lines on the road are the best way to get BLIND and visually impaired people across that busy road. Where are the audible signals and crossing lights at this corner?

What city planner is sitting in their office oblivious to the fact that the visually impaired could have insane problems getting across the road to the CNIB offices? I mean, I don't know that that office has a lot of traffic of this nature, but still, does no one else see (so to speak) the irony of this? Is it just me, or does something seem a little out of whack here?

Fine, call me crazy if you must! But I shall never accept rationalization of this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home