Friday, April 01, 2005

Why I miss New York

There are so many things about New York that I wouldn't want to deal with, but so many MORE things I wish I didn't have to leave. I guess since I've returned I've been thoroughly dissatisfied with Edmonton, which I know, is hard to believe considering I was such a huge Edmonton fan *tries to keep voice from dripping with sarcasm*

I know Times Square was not entirely that thrilling to me. It was the Las Vegas strip condensed...the lights were bright and the ads were larger than life and all I could think was, "Thank Gawd I don't have epilepsy!" I think the highlights of Times Square were the giant Toys R Us with the ferris wheel in it and the US Military recruiting station right smack in the middle of the roads that make up the intersection. I wonder how many tourists wander through with their cameras and stop and think, "You know, I just don't do enough for my country. I'm going to cut my tour short and get recruited!" But hey, to each their own.

I seriously *heart* Fifth Avenue though. I've never felt so poor and yet so at home. It's the Mothership ladies and gentlemen. Late one night 3 of the guys and I strolled down Fifth Avenue towards the Empire State Building and I had to explain the hierarchy of high fashion and jewellry to them. With an air of self-importance, I explained that the Penultimate jewellry store, Tiffany & Co. is beat only by Harry Winston in terms of quality and prestige, though I'm sure there are some who would argue for the more recognizible brand name. I ranked the designers and pointed out the pitfalls of haute couture. I felt fucking FABULOUS.

I don't know what to say about Ground Zero. I was upset, then I was *mad* as hell. I'd rather not get into it.

Canal street was a real treat. I just don't think I've ever seen such raw consumerism. It was raining and cold as hell, but everyone was in search of designer knockoffs and cheap goods, and the sidewalks were jammed with people asking me if I wanted to buy imitation Gucci. I just had a good old time watching the show.

I was visibly impressed with Columbia University and in particular, it's old Library building. It was a beautiful spring day and the sun was shining down on this campus, creating a brilliancy like I've never felt before on a University campus. The whole place just screamed 'Prestige' and 'Confidence.' But make no mistake about it: I neither aspire to attend that school, nor was I intimidated by those who do attend. It's simply a case of admiration, not envy.

The United Nations headquarters...this is where things get tricky. I truly admire the principles of the UN and aspire to represent them in my career, but knowing what I do about that building's less-than-inspiring structural faults, I feel some pity for those who work there. I mean no disrespect, but the UN is sorely in need of upgrading and redecorating. Nonetheless, I was awed by being there.

I Loved the taxis. I'm an agressive driver, so watching the taxi drivers swerve and honk and use the lines on the road as loose guides was hilarious.

What I saw of Central park on the south side by Columbus circle was nice and cliche. There was kids playing, people walking dogs, guys playing touch football, horses and buggies, etc. It was a unique experience wandering through this haven of nature surrounded by the madness of man.

What could I do without?
-high prices
-dirty sidewalks
-the Hilton New York
-the drama of travelling with a large group
and so on.

Next up...UAMUN goes to summer camp! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home