Sunday, August 30, 2009

The one where she's surrounded by sickos

Welcome back to the new season of Fancy.

To catch fans up on what they missed during the summer hiatus, I'll provide this summary:

Fancy went to Ottawa, had an adventure with many highs and lows (more lows really), and came back.

I left Ottawa yesterday afternoon, in the pisspouring rain; it was a dismal day and it didn't do a lot to improve my mood about leaving. As you may have known, I've been living at Etienne's for the last three weeks, a refugee from a bedbug infested Hippie Hellhole.

All had been well until last week, when Etienne started to get sick. Really sick. We suspect H1N1, as his symptoms all matched, but there's no way to confirm it without him paying. He's a Swiss citizen, without work benefits until he's officially bridged in to the Federal government, and he's just finished his master's so he's not covered by his university plan, so he's not covered by any health plan. And given that he's practically a student still, he's not exactly in the position to spend a lot of money visiting a doctor and getting prescriptions or receiving treatment. Sucks for him. And I've been looking after him like a good little pseudo-roommate, so I was anxious to be leaving him yesterday, knowing he's still not well.

I'm happy to be back home, in a world that makes sense to me, but guess what? Rod's sick! I literally left one sick man for another!

So, you may be wondering how it is that I'm not complaining about being sick, given my substantial exposure to the flu (Saralee at work also has it). My only possible explanation is that I was quite sick this spring, and it must have been the milder version of H1N1. Because there's just no way I should be okay! My immune system is generally regarded as lazy and useless...a cheese-eating surrender monkey, as Steve might say. So the only answer I have is that I have the immunities :) Even if it's not H1N1, I've lucked out and gotten whatever these people have early enough that I shouldn't be in bad shape to start school soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home