Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Eye for an I

Well, it's been a busy past month or so! Of course the wedding plans have started to take some precedence now that we are just a squidge over 5 months away from the big day. And speaking of the big day, it is now definite that yours very truly will be enjoying the day without the aid of perscription visual aids!!

That's right folks, in just over two weeks, I'm quitting the temp job I'm at right now, and headed in for some corrective eye surgery! I (eye) have been screened as a candidate, I've paid my deposit, and I've booked my appointment :) I'm excited about this, as I've wanted it done ever since my dad had his done in 1996, and came back raving about it. Anxiety about having things done to my eyes kept me away for so long, but I have to admit that in the last couple of years, I've really changed, and it's like fear of silly things has melted away to reveal a bolder new Fancy.

I'm a candidate for the PRK procedure, which is older, but still quite effective. PRK means my eyes won't be cut at all, so no flaps to worry about as in the case of LASIK. The issue is that my corneas aren't thick enough for LASIK (Indeed, I'm having to pay an extra $200 for tissue sparing because my eyes are thin), and I apparently suffered from chronic dryness on both eyes, which would be aggrevated by LASIK. I honestly could care less what they chose to do, because it means for the first time in 18 years, I will be able to open my eyes first thing in the morning and see clearly the sooky little face of my cat Max poking at me, without reaching for glasses or needing to get up and put in contacts. It's almost enough to make me cry/smile just thinking about it...

...I wonder what crying would do to the plugs in my tear drains? Yes, there is something I don't think I've ever heard before..."My eyes are plugged!" Plugged, you inquire? Plugged, says I! Apparently my tear duct drains are...large, and drain quite quickly, before my eyes ar properly lubricated, which contributed to the chronic dry patches. To remedy this enough to make my eyes fit for surgery, the clinic put these nearly-microscopic plugs into the drains, and I have to use eye drops, an eye gel, and worst of all, an eye jelly at night. Think eye drops are a pain in the ass? Try having to stick the equivalent of Vasoline in your eyes every night, causing blurred, jelly-vision and a lovely slimy-jelly feeling around your eyes when you wake up. Ew. The things we do to escape the prison-like attachment to visual aids.

1 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Chris Hubick said...

"for the first time in 18 years, I will be able to open my eyes first thing in the morning and see clearly the sooky little face of my cat Max poking at me"

You've never seen Roddy's face poking at you in the morning!?! You could be in for quite a shocker! ;)

(or does he poke with something else?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home