Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The next chapter...

So, I had a heart-fluttering, butterfly-tummied moment this afternoon:

Next week, when I get paid, I'm registering to write the Graduate Record Examine, more commonly known as the GRE. Why? Because it seems that every graduate school in the US requires it if you are not from the US (or in many cases, even if you are!) as part of the admissions requirements.

And why am I writing the GRE which is so necessary for grad schools in the US? Because I've given serious, thoughtful consideration to a crazy idea...

A Ph.D.

At Harvard.

"OMG, Fancy, are you an idiot?"

Well, I hardly think I have to dignify that question with a response to those of you still wandering in and out of my blog for the last 5 years. Duh! The answer is obviously YES. But, I'm a special brand of idiot...the kind willing to take the risk in case it works out.

Remember back in 2005, when I foolishly babbled on about the possibility of being good enough for grad school? Once I got over my childish fears of rejection, I realized that I was good enough for grad school, and there was no turning back! I was so set on this goal, I picked only one school, uprooted my entire life (and Rod's while I was at it), and moved to Vancouver. I faltered only slightly over the summer of 2006, but then I found the solution to my problems (a maddening lack of references and a GPA a touch under 3.0): the Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Social Policy Issues at Simon Fraser University. I entered in January 2007 and finished in December 2007 with a 3.77 GPA, excellent references, and a semester on the Honour Roll. Me...the one who never believed I was good enough.

I was. I got into the only program I applied to, the Master's of Public Policy at SFU, and I succeeded.

So why is it so crazy to think I could pull this off? Granted, it's Harvard; I hear all the time about top-tier candidates not making the cut. Which is why I'm not totally stupid...I'm also looking at three other excellent programs at excellent schools. Harvard is a stretch, but like others who have taken a chance on me, they wouldn't be disappointed. Let's put it this way...Harvard University is the vanity choice: I make the cut, wow, that's...strange, but cool; I don't...well, hey, it won't be for a lack of Trying.

Who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home