Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Crisis of the self...averted

I've been largely adrift lately. I go to work, albeit to a better job than I had up until 2 months ago, I go home, maybe do some household chores, and find ways to occupy myself and/or Etienne. And I do all of this knowing I want more for my life.

Recently, Etienne had a chance to think about his situation based on something I had said in conversation, and he realized he is where he wants to be right now. Not Ottawa, he doesn't *want* to be here; but in terms of his current job/career, he's on the right track and he likes what he does, and I envy that to some extent.

The natives are restless...literally. Once again, I find myself in the position of looking to my future, knowing it isn't what others expect it to be, and struggling to find the right way to make the changes needed in order to turn my future into my present. If this 'existential crisis' I'm having sounds familiar, it's because you've seen it before, spelled out in this blog; each instance led to some large step in life (new cities, new jobs, returns to school...the typical routes) that have each moved me to where I am now, so I know I'm on the right path. Unlike so many others though, I haven't yet reached my goals, and it can be so frustrating when other people who have judge me foolish for wanting to walk away from the safety and security of public service in order to reach my finish line.

I'm doing my best to find my way, but recently I've faced opposition that made me feel less than my worth; well-meaning people in my life have...well, scolded me or chided me about how foolish it is to walk away from government. They don't (or won't) understand that what drives me isn't the same thing that drives them. No matter how many times or ways I've tried to explain that I just don't do things the way most people do, that I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer, the message doesn't reach them.

In a moment of true sorrow and anguish, as I felt like giving up, I reached out to Rod. Besides my mother, no one left alive on this planet knows me so well, and in some ways, he knows me best.

Ever the very best of friends, he responded to my troubles with this...

"Well, I think for the majority of the populace, a "good" public service job is the epitome of a safe, secure career path. It's very organized and structured in terms of advancement and reward. You put in the time, you are guaranteed the reward - more money and more vacation time. But it isn't necessarily the most fulfilling, dynamic or exciting work. And you my friend are not 'The Constant Gardener', but rather his wife. You enjoy the rewards from a steady job, but you need more from life than steadiness."

So thank you, Rod. Thank you.

3 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Gail at Large said...

I know I'm not of those "are you crazy for leaving the government?!?" people -- I did it myself! And I did better... the government job was just a stepping stone from total chaos to getting back on my feet. Once things improved, I moved on.

Stay strong, Fancy, choose your path and don't listen to the naysayers.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

You are prodigiously fortunate Gail, because you have interests and marketable skills that afford you the ability to choose an entirely different, much better path. You have always inspired me!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, count me in! I left a permanent position last year because I just couldn't take it anymore. I was working 24/7. It broke my heart to leave, it was the first steady job with a good pay I had but I knew I made the choice choice.

I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself. I often do that too... I have to many goals, want to eat healthy, not smoking too much, want to have a family yet not sure I'm in for that, want to be perfect at home yet a traveleer, want to be a photographer yet need a day job etc.

Take a deep breathe. relax. I think everybody is in the same boat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home