Friday, April 08, 2011

On Election Silence (or...Screaming in the Inside!)

I'll be honest, I've been disengaging from the electoral process in the past because I've been unable to handle the Conservative Party of Canada under Stephen Harper. This is no secret, I've blogged about it before, but now I need to be careful, and formally disclaim that my views are that of a private citizen, and they are not implicated in my public role. My wider goal of helping Canadians motivates me to do the best job possible to meet that goal, regardless of what party forms the government. I also must disclaim that I will not actively and/or openly declare support or campaign for a candidate or party here, because this is a public blog, open to all. I own my writings, and I accept the consequences.

This election has re-ignited a fading passion for politics, so what I do want to say, and what I feel I'm well within the confines of the Public Service Employment Act in saying is that I want you, if you are eligible, to VOTE. Find out what you can about the parties and their platforms; it takes just a few minutes to find media reports that compare the platforms on key issues and see which candidate or party best represents your views and needs. On May 2nd, cast your vote!

I know it seems fatiguing, yet another election in such a short time span, but let's remember that this is democracy that citizens in other countries hear about and, in some cases, long for. Your right to cast a ballot for the candidate or party of your choosing is not a privilege, it's a Right. You have the right to have a say in the priorities, policies and programs of this country, and that is so precious.

You are fortunate. I am fortunate. And on May 2nd, I will be casting a ballot, if for no other (possibly more noble) reason, so that I have the unquestionable, legitmate right to complain about the outcome :)

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm voting too and I'm taking my ballot seriously. This will be my first time voting in a federal election since I got my Canadian citizenship, so it means a lot to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home