Sunday, February 13, 2011

Marcello

Several years ago, I wrote about how I never had a Jake Ryan, but some time after that, I described how I was lucky enough to have a Lloyd Dobler in my life. It's probably for the best that I missed out on the Jake, because it gave me the chance to open my eyes and find the Lloyd, which is something I'll always look back on fondly.

Something else I am going to look back on fondly is finding my Marcello. For those of you who haven't seen Under the Tuscan Sun, the protagonist, Frances, has a chance meeting with a handsome stranger, the dashing Marcello, and she embarks on a brief affair with him, but circumstances mean the affair can't last.

Around this time last year, Rod and I had decided to end the marriage, and during his absences for work, I found myself struggling with the idea of moving on. I was back out on the dating scene after a 13 year absence, and I was not sure what would come of it. I had already committed to the job and the move to Ottawa in May, so I knew I couldn't commit to anything long term in Vancouver, but still...if I was going to embrace the art of dating (including the inevitable rejection), I knew I had to get out and try it. Vancouver was going to be my chance to practice up before going to Ottawa to try in earnest.

A lot of "nevers" made an appearance in my life at that point, and a chance sighting on a train late at night, a personal ad (not as bad as it sounds), and a few emails later, I began a brief affair with my Marcello. It was only about three weeks, but my Marcello, besides being physically attractive, kind, and clearly willing to take a leap of faith, gave me chance to put some fears to rest and let go. He was the person I needed at that point in my life, and I'll always love that about him.

Thank you, my Marcello. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home