Friday, December 07, 2007

The End...again.

Yesterday, I walked out of my social movements final exam just after 6 pm, and I was done. Done the semester and done the diploma. It's a bittersweet moment for me.

When I finished my Bachelor degree, I was in only one class at the time, and even though I struggled with that class, there was a sense that I was starting to divest myself from the school experience because I wasn't in school everyday. This time, I ended my program a full time student, and after a stoopid-mad rush of papers and finals and projects, I am now left with...nowhere to go.

Of course, my string of A's and excellent feedback continued yesterday with the return of two projects. This is the hallmark of this diploma; one of my goals when I started out on this venture was to improve my GPA, and without question, I've done that, going from a 2.8 to, at least until this semester's grades come in, a 3.61, just a hair under an A- average. Mission Accomplished.

I also set out to gather a new set of references for my grad school applications because most of my old ones from the U of A have dropped off the face of the earth apparently. Well, without hesitation, three professors here agreed to be referees for me, and I feel very confident because they are all very accomplished, respected professors with impressive CVs. They all encouraged me through positive feedback time and time again, and that pushed me to do better and better. I'm beyond pleased that they would lend their reputations to back me up, and it makes me feel like I have a better chance at getting into grad school. So, again, Mission Accomplished.

I'm 2 for 3 now...my last goal was to see if success with this program would translate into a stronger candidacy in a highly competitive program. I think I've proved that I am intellectually capable of keeping up, and indeed coming out on top at times, and after all of this work, I think I've proven that I am dedicated to reaching my career goals, and I feel I haven't even yet reached my peak. So, Mission...ongoing.

I'm so sad that I'm done :( I feel like I'm on a roll, and I don't want to be done! I'm high on my surprising intellectual prowess! I'm SMRT and I want to show it! Can I call for an extension or a do-over?

2 Comments:

At 9:37 PM, Blogger Gail at Large said...

Hey, enjoy it! Bask in it!

Because nobody give two hoots what your GPA is when you apply for a job ;)

(I work for the government -- expect cynicism.)

No, seriously, I bow to your accomplishments, Fancy, especially raising your GPA that much. SFU sounds like it was a good fit for you. If I end up back in Vancouver, I'd return to SFU to finish my degree.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Fancy C. Poitras said...

Oh, I know without a shadow of a doubt that no one else in the real world cares about my GPA, I wouldn't either! But I don't want a job, I want to hide in academia so that I can get a career! It's all part of my world domination plot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home