Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm Published!

Nearly 5 years ago, a girl found a place to open her loud trap over a useless matter, and it was there for a lot of people to see.



Yes folks, before I became a Master Blogger, or a Bossy person with a blog, I was a loud mouth IN PRINT. Let me take you back through time on a journey. It's the story of a grumpy jerk Premier and a jerky grump Me.

The scene: a cold November, 5th, 2002. Fancy is thumbing through the Edmonton Journal, and comes across an article about how Premier Klein is advocating keeping the minimum wage at it's current low of $5.90/hour because it's "primarily students" who earn minimum wage. Tired of hearing 'Tough-talking Ralphy' crawl even further up the bum of industry, and not liking the tone of the article, Fancy gets proactive. Sitting down at the computer, she fires off an articulate, and concise (275 words) letter to the Editor. The next day, Rod takes a call from the Edmonton Journal, letting Fancy know that they are going to make a minor revision, and print the letter in the November 7, 2002 edition!

So yeah, I got to open my big trap because I lived and saw proof daily at that time that there were plenty of people my age and older were making ends meet...or not, on $6/hour. It was so arrogant for Ralph Klein, who at the time was noted for his superb well of arrogance, to assume that $6/hour was a liveable wage. I wish I could print the letter here, but it's copyrighted by The Edmonton Journal, and I'm not about to cross Canwest Media, or whoever owns the Edmonton Journal this week. If you have access to a school library, or a database that subscribes to and keeps electronic archives of the Edmonton Journal online, you can find it in the Editorial section (A19) of the November 7, 2002 edition. If you can't find it, you're missing a chance to see me as a Grown-up instead of a missish brat with a free platform (ie. my blog).

1 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Gail at Large said...

Good for you! It's too bad you don't have password-protection, you could post it behind a password.

I'm sure it was a doozy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home