Friday, January 28, 2005

Hair Removal: Is it worth it?

Okay, now, for those of you squeamish-type folks out there who don't take to tales of pain very well, skip over this entry. There...you've been disclaimed.

This morning I had an appointment at Eveline Charles downtown for a full leg and bikini wax in preparation for bikini season in CancĂșn. I've had waxing done before, and while it's not the most pleasant experience in the world, it's usually not as dramatically/comically painful as Hollywood would lead the uninitiated to believe. Take some Advil or Tylenol or whatever before you go, and the swelling and pain isn't so terrible.

The Esthetician, Kathy, was very thorough and pleasant. Once I told her the purpose of my visit, she determined that a lot of waxing needed to be done on the bikini line. And by gawd...she took off hair I didn't even know existed. I'm talking about hair that hasn't seen the light of day ever. Of course, it looks nice and I won't have to worry about stray pubic hairs in my bikinis, but WOW!! or should that be OW!! Since some of the hair waxed off today had never been waxed off before, it's all the more sensitive to suddenly being ripped from my body in the most insanely painful fashion. Kathy did her best to minimize the pain, but there's nothing short of Aenesthesia that can help.

Indeed, even now, as the stinging continues, I have to ask myself if it was worth it. The answer is this: In today's wonderfully-advancing society, with technology coming as easily as a homecoming queen in the back seat of a Ford, how is it that we have not come up with affordable and painless ways to rid oneself of body hair? I *hate* body hair. Beyond being unsightly, I know that body hair traps and holds onto odors and I'm not into smelling nasty. So I would remove body hair in an instant *IF* I didn't have to suffer to do so. I hear about laser hair removal, and I think gee, that sounds good, but it sounds incredibly painful on my wallet. So I schlep by with razors that miss things and forms of torture that involve violent ripping motions.

This is a personal issue every person having graduated from puberty school has to wrestle with...to remove or not to remove, that is the question. I think next time I'm in the mood to be masochistic, I'll just let Rod beat me with a spiked baseball bat instead.

2 Comments:

At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been LOSING some of my hair and was wondering maybe if I put my head in your lap, it could solve BOTH of our problems?

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Whyme said...

I recently started getting Brazillian waxing done. Now, THAT is a whole lotta hair removal!

In between waxings, I use a sensitive skin hair cream remover and it works wonderfully without a whole lotta pain.

Also, helpful at times to remember to trim yourself before going for waxings as that can also make it less painful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home