Thursday, August 28, 2008

Question of the Day

So yesterday, I'm driving along listening to 99.3, the Fox, and one of my lesser favourite DJs does this thing called question of the day. Well, his question yesterday was "what was the best concert experience you had in the 1990's?" and I actually had the urge to call in, which is something I never consider.

Okay, so it wasn't exactly the 90's....it was Summersault 2000 at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. A day long musicfest where I would meet an ex's future wife, meet a future best friend (we'd meet again, sober, in 2005), have a shoe thrown at me (seriously? Who goes home without one shoe??), and wait an hour after it was over so a roommate could pick up a chick.

The Foo Fighters have always been awesome, but on this particular day, I had the best concert experience ever. So, the Foos are onstage for about 15 minutes, rocking the shit out of the crowd. There's a massive mosh pit, and I'm...somewhere near the back with Rod. Well, out of the corner of my eye, I see the security guards sramble over to stage right, and I'm thinking 'uh oh, wtf?' Well, Dave Grohl noticed too, and he stopped the band. Now, not everyone in the pit was aware of what's going on, so Dave explained that someone was knocked out in the mosh pit up by the stage, and that we needed to just step back and let the security guards and first aiders clear him out. But knowing that we were still there to see a show, Dave did the classiest thing I've ever seen from a musician on stage: he took the band's song 'Big Me' which is already down tempo, and softened it a little more, to chill the crowd out a bit, and let the staff do their thing. Once the guy was cleared, and the song was over, Dave started rocking out again, climbing stage scaffolding, taking over the drums and being a totally awesome rockstar.

The guy handled it in the best possible way...keep the show going, but take it down a notch for a safer, and therefore more fun experience for those of us of the non-concussed pursuasion. I heard after the show, Dave went to check on the guy too. Awesome band, awesome ethics...best concert experience ever.

1 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And also, we met for the first time. The second time would be in...2005? wacky!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home