Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I thought I had nothing to say...

*Pauses for momentary tribute to Michael Corleone*

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

*Returns to regularly scheduled posting*

You know, this debate about the content of blogs sort of sticks in my craw (remind me to look up the origins of that phrase some day); I fully understand and accept that there are certain strictures that need to be abided by when it comes to posting content about Work. That's not what bothers me. What bothers me is when I feel like I am not allowed to post about my feelings and perceptions, because it may cost me a job. Responsible blogging is one thing, but living with the fear that I may lose a job (or not even be considered for one) based on what I've written in my blog in the past...that goes beyond responsibility, and I don't mind saying it treads lightly on the line leading to censorship.

It occurs to me now, when I am indeed on the hunt for a co-op job for this summer, that prospective employers can and will google yours truly, and find the unabashed writings and rantings of a big mouth (yes, that's me.), and the institutionalized Grad Student in me creases her brow at the idea that they might will find some reason to skip my name on the interview sheet, without giving me the opportunity to dazzle them with my skills and talents. In other words, I'm back to the same place I was 15 years ago, worrying about what others think of me before they get to know me. And it's completely juvenile.

The big mouth in me arches her eyebrow and says "Talk to me first; if you don't like me after that, C'est la vie." Do I stand by what I've written in my blog? Well, let's put it this way...I'd go mad if I didn't have an outlet for my expressive opinions, and short of doing anyone harm, I see no reason to feel ashamed for what I've written. At the time of each post, I had a good reason, and that's in light of the fact that I'm much more measured and deliberate in my writing than I am in other forms of communication.

My blog is my journey, and I own it. Do I self-censor? You bet! I could say a lot of things (I'm blunt enough to be sure), but I don't because I strive for tact (and record some misses on that account, but such is my nature).

...when I write my blog, it's usually because I have something to say.

1 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Gail at Large said...

I've thought about returning to old posts from five years ago or so and taking out names and such, but I still have the Blogspot and that means I have to go back to that one, too... it took David ages to read my site from 2002 to 2004, so sheer laziness is keeping me from going back that far to do a check.

I do look at my stats and see what old posts people are reading, though. That's usually what precipitates the reading of old archives and scanning content.

Mind you, I keep the ranting to a minimum :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home